You Are Reading

OUGD501 - Theory Into Practice: Designing Components

I went onto Illustrator and started designing the components for the website.

RWD
I started designing for the home page and RWD based on the drawings I had done.

Phone
I didn't have any limitations on how many colours I could use because I was working for screen, just the fact it had to be RGB. I started playing around with different colours.


I liked these shades of green, and decided to go with it. It is a characteristic of flat design to have bright colours, so I thought it was appropriate for my project. I added drop shadows to add some interest, and not make it entirely flat - something a lot of people have said is a better answer to pure flatness, a mixture of flat and skeuomorphism. 


I made the drop shadows on the screen and button thinner.


I added a layout in the screen, as I want to show how the same layout will be shared across different screens.


I added an ear piece at the top to make it more realistic.


I made the screen square rather than have rounded corners because this is more realistic too.


I got rid of the drop shadow on the screen because it's not 3D - duh!


I elongated the phone to make it look more in proportion.


Then I removed the drop shadow from the button as that also isn't 3D.. I need to bare this in mind when adding them! This is the finished phone icon.


I tried it with a shadow on the screen too.

Tablet
For the tablet I used the same shape, and just made the phone bigger. I also changed the layout on the screens.


I rearranged them to overlap just to see what it would look like because I want them to work as a set.


Desktop
I then started doing the desktop version. 


I then widened the bottom of the stand.


I then added another part onto the stand, and tried them all together. I didn't like the tablet on its side.


I tried reversing it but I still don't like it. The proportions don't seem right.


I then moved made it portrait which worked better.


I prefer the arrangement like this.


I also tried a landscape tablet version but I didn't like this.


Outlines
I then wanted to make these into outlines, to act as a pattern on the home page.

Here is the phone, but I felt there were too many outlines.


So I filled a couple of things in to balance it out.


I did the same for the tablet and desktop, but I wasn't too keen on the desktop.


I added the line back in, but I didn't like this either.


So I just kept it without.


Without Layout
I also did a version without the layout


I then arranged them into place.


Background
I wanted to add another element of colour in it to make it brighter and fit in with the flat aesthetics, so I tried it within the design at first but it didn't really go. I chose a mustard yellow as this a popular choice with flat design and it contrasts well with the teal.



I then tried it as a background, which works a lot better.


I then tried making the desktop stand a darker colour, as the phone blended in with the mac. This looks too much though I think. 


I then got rid of the bottom dark area, and made the screen bigger.


I also altered the illustration for the desktop, as I want this to shrink to physically show the changes of the responsive design. I'll show this through animation.




Typography Led
I then started working on the illustrations for the typography led section of the site. I needed an icon for the home page as well as a pattern for the header on the flat design page.

The reason type led designs are a trend at the moment is because of screen resolution, and how well they can be rendered, allowing thin typefaces to be produced better on screen. Also, with the likes of @font-face and google web fonts, more fonts designed for the screen are becoming readily available on every computer - before, only fonts people had installed on their computers could be used.

So, I decided to make a magnifying glass on a letter to show when zoomed in, it is still crisp. I also used a font that was a specifically designed web font, to fit in with the fact there are so many fonts now.


I kept with the flat aesthetic to that everything fit in, and added a drop shadow to the magnifier.


I added the holder part to it to complete it.


I then started playing with background colours.


I felt this looked too lopsided because of the angle of the holder.


So I moved it down more to look more central. I like this colour as it contrasts well.


For the pattern of the Type Led page I wanted to only use fonts specifically designed for websites so that it related to why type led designs is a trend. I used:
Exo
Titilum Web
Open Sans
Roboto
Kreon
Droid Serif Bold
Kameron
Josefin Sans
Museo Sans
Oxygen
Raleway
Oulipo
Domine
Merriweather
Alegreya Sans
Inconsolata
PT Serif

I used a variety of thicknesses. I need to arrange them properly to the space available, but at least the design is done for the moment.




Menu Icon

I wanted a menu icon for the navigation of the site, so I created the symbol using the Pen and stroke tool.

Quotes
As I am including quotes throughout the site, I thought about how I can lay them out.

I picked two quotation marks that I liked, and decided to go for the one on the right, as it is Raleway - a web font.


I changed the colour of them to fit the topic, and put them around the quote.


I then moved these around.


I added the person who said the quote. I used the Align tool to make sure everything was aligned properly.


I altered the weights.


Then I altered the spacing.


Then I added three buttons to allow the user to choose different quotes.


I then tried arrows..



And circles as buttons.



 Flat
For the flat design icon, I had a couple ideas. I could do a half skeuomorphic, half flat logo, have a hammer flattening and icon or do a symbol which is iconic with flat design. I decided to go with the latter, and do a weather symbol - I thought this would work well with the pattern, because I could do lots of different weather icons.


I started doing a calendar at first, as this is popular with flat design, but then I thought it couldn't be used as a pattern.


So I started doing a weather icon. Weather apps are everywhere with flat designs now, so I thought this would be appropriate, and I have researched them.


I added a drop shadow, rain drops and highlights.


I took one highlight off and added drop shadows to the rain drops.


 Then I played around with the colours.




This is the preferred colour that I chose.


I then made more weather icons that would work on the pattern.


As I went through the website, I created icons to go with the content and ideas that I thought of.











Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.