You Are Reading

OUGD503 - Responsive: Companions Pet Shop Research

I started looking at existing pet shop logos, to see what had already been done and how to stand out against competitors.

This is the existing logo for the shop. I think it looks childish and untrustworthy due to its handwritten appearance and lilac background pattern. I want to move away from this to create a clean, friendly logo that appeals to both young and old customers.



I know that the client thought his logo should resemble Pets At Home to compete with them, so I had a look.

It's all in lowercase which makes its look informal, but I also think it looks quite cheap and cluttered. The good thing about it is it works as a square, and as one long sign so it is versatile. The logo is green and the client wants his green as well to compete with this. I think that is a good colour choice anyway because it is outdoorsy and so fits in with dog walkers and animals such as rabbits and cats who go outside a lot. It's also a trusting colour.




Although they do products for most pets, they seem to have a lot of dog related products so I had a look at Crufts logo. I like it, its rounded and curved which makes it seem friendly. It's simple, and the curved C just adds a bit of interest to it.


I looked at some dog tags to look at the shapes for ideas of how the logo could fit into/around a shape.



I like this dog tag as it resembles a dog bone.



I looked at the Creature Comforts logo as I remember this looking friendly and lighthearted. When I then looked it at now, I think it's pretty awful due to its chaotic design, but I still like it as it is fun and nostalgic. 

I looked at some vet logos to see how these differ from pet shop logos as they are more corporate.



I think this looks very corporate, and I don't think that is appropriate for my client as it is a local business.

I then started looking at different pet shop logos to see what exists.
































I looked at some illustrations of animals to get some inspiration for illustration style. 

I love this use of negative space to create a dog with a dog bone.






Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.