You Are Reading

OUGD503 - Responsive: Collaborative - BEAR Camping Research

campfire is a fire lit at a campsite, to serve the following functions: light, warmth, a beacon, an insect and/or apex predator deterrent, to cook, and for a psychological sense of security. In established campgrounds they are usually in a fire ring for safety. Campfires are a popular feature of camping, particularly among organized campers such as Scouts or Guides.



I decided to look at Scouts first to see if they had any information on it. They had a booklet which I looked through, seeing what activities are available and if any of them had campsites in them. I screenshotted the bits of information that would be useful to me. I wanted some keywords such as 'tent pitching' so I could research further into specific things to do with camping.






I also took a couple of screenshots from their website. Scouts are all about encouraging kids to get involved with the great outdoors, so I thought they would be a good company to look at.





I found a document on making different knots which is useful to know when you are camping. I could include one of these on the back of the box as a little fact. It might get kids excited to try something outdoorsy, as it could be done inside.







I then got researching onto making a fire for the camp. I didn't realise there a few different kind of fires, and having these illustrations will help me make a realistic illustration for the back of the box. I also thought, rather than having C for Campfire, it could be for Camping instead.





Me and Sarah was going to include a tent on the back of the pack, so I looked at one of the documents for this. This was really useful as it has clear illustrations of what each tent looks like.


Having a list of their features is really useful cause I know what to include on the illustration.


This also helps with that, as I know not to miss a part of the tent.


This glossary is useful, because I could use these terms on the content.


I then looked at some photographs of the types of tents there are, based from this fact sheet.

















I found another factsheet on essentials of camping, and things to include.



I also looked at one of their documents on navigation, and found a list of symbols used on survey ordance maps. If I make an illustration of a map I could include these on it, to make it more realistic.



Maps
I then looked at different maps for reference if I illustrate one. Firstly I looked at a couple of woodland maps as these fit into our theme.


Then I looked at treasure maps, as these appeal to children and our target audience is kids.







Then I looked at world maps to get a realistic interpretation.




Food

I then looked at the food that is cooked at campfires.

I found an article that talked about different recipes. I picked out the ones I most commonly associate with camping, like a shish kebab. I think that this is a good thing to illustrate, because there can be many variations of what to put on the skewer. Smores are also associated with camping.







I then looked at smores. I found a good fact to include on the back of the pack. I then thought, actually these parents like healthy food and won't want to encourage their children to eat these.

s'more (sometimes spelled smore) is a traditional night time campfire treat popular in the United States and Canada, consisting of a roasted marshmallow and a layer of chocolate sandwiched between two pieces of graham cracker.[1] National S'mores Day is celebrated yearly on August 10 in the United States.

I then looked at the equipment you would use when campfire cooking.









I then looked at images of campsites, as this would give me an idea of what to include as a set.













I noticed tents, picnic table, chairs, food related items and canoes.

Animals
We both said that we would want an animal on each box so the kid can play with it, so I'm thinking what could I do for that. Because I don't want to use a bear as that could be quite scary when camping!

I read about the dangers of bears when camping on this website.




Birds, rabbits, foxes, hares, badgers, deer, pheasants are all animals that could be seen when camping. I asked Sarah if she had researched any of these, as she is looking at animals, and she has looked at foxes, deer and rabbit so that is this area covered.

Camping

I found a website which has lots of information about camping. But when I started looking t the content I didn't think it would have anything that would be exciting to kids because it is very factual and informative in a practical sense.





I found a presentation which had lots of camping tips and facts which is handy!

  • 28. MORE THAN DAY & RESIDENT CAMPS EXIST IN THE UNITED STATES ALONE 12,000
  • 29. EVERY YEAR MORE THAN IMAGINE IF THEY ALL WENT CAMPING AT THE SAME TIME THAT WOULD BE ONE BIG TENT! CHILDREN & ADULTS 11,000,000 GO CAMPING
  • 30. CAMPSITES 8,000 NONPROFIT GROUPS OPERATE ABOUT NOW THAT’S HOW CAMPING SHOULD BE, FREE
  • 31. CAMPS EMPLOY MORE THAN MAYBE SOME POLITICIANS SHOULD TAKE A CAMPING TRIP IN OTHER WORDS, MAYBE CAMPING CAN BOOST OUR ECONOMY ADULTS TO WORK AS COUNSELORS 1,200,000
  • 32. OUT OF 12,000 CAMPS IN THE U.S. ROUGHLY 7,000 ARE RESIDENT CAMPS AND 5,000 ARE DAY CAMPS. ADD THOSE NUMBERS UP AND YOU HAVE SOME HAPPY CAMPERS LITERALLY!
  • 33. 100%OF PEOPLE WHO GO CAMPING DO IT HOPEFULLY YOU KNEW THAT, THAT ONE WAS A TEST OUTSIDE A+














































I'm thinking things to include on the box could be:

  • Tents
  • Chairs
  • Picnic table
  • BBQ
  • Grill/skewers
  • Canoe
  • Fox, rabbit or deer
  • Map

Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.