You Are Reading

OUGD504 - Design for Print and Web: Typography Research

As I want to incorporate a drop cap into the branding of my restaurant I want to create my own that would fit the tone of voice. I decided to look at how others are used for research. The tone of voice for my own branding I want to be quite academic and classy, as well as professional and clean.

This is a word within a contained area, and I like the idea of having a letter contained because then it has clear boundaries and I think these are associated a lot with old books and literature. I think that is is black and white and looks quite textured also adds to the old feel.



I love this letter, because although there isn't a border around it like the last one, it is still contained with the use of shape making an imaginary boundary. Although there is no design within the letter, the curves and shape used makes it very extravagant and elegant.


This is one of the alphabets Jessica Hische designed for the Daily Drop Cap and I love all of them. Even though they are all very different, they seem to be part of the same alphabet due to the use of colour and format. Some of them are quite contemporary (like the K and the Q) but still look quite traditional, perhaps through the use of shape and colour. My favourite letter here is the B, which I think is quite simple with the shape and the illustration within the letter, but combined it looks really elegant and decorative. 


Some more of Jessica Hische's work, she designed these bookcovers where it is a standalone letter. I want to create the G which will stand alone on most of the branding, so I want to make sure it works on its own.


These letters are quite simple as they just use block shapes and lines or circles as a pattern but they look effective because of how they are used. I think the use of shape is good on the A because it uses the pattern to make the crossbar of the A, and makes the hairline look really thin by using the lines on the right side making it interesting to look at.


Similar to the last set of letters, I think these are more grown up, probably due to the colours used and they use more shapes as patterns. I really like the L here, because with the drop shadow it looks 3D and the pattern inside the letter gives the viewer something to look at.


This is from the Daily Drop Cap project, and I like how it is contained in a square. To me it looks quite christmassy because of the shapes used and reminds me of a snowflake or decoration.


This is a highly decorative letter, and I think it is amazing. I like the really close together lines within the letter and this is something I've noticed a lot of letters have. I think the decorative swirls around the letter make it very ornamental and pretty. This isn't something I would do for this project, 1. because I don't have the time or skill and 2. it has to work alongside normal letters and I think it would be too extravagant to fit in with them.


There is a selection of decorative letters here, and I think they are amazing and they definitely capture the viewer into looking at them. My favourite letter is the I on the second line because it uses a pattern to make the shape of the letter rather than have a solid outline and you can easily see what it is still.


This is the kind of style I have in mine for my own, as it still keeps the original shape of the letter, but is made for visually interesting through a drop shadow and decorative lines. I think this would work well with my own branding because it needs to work with the rest of the word and that font, as well as work well on its own. This kind of style is very versatile.


E
I love how this letter is made up of different components to make one letter and I think it would make a really nice drop cap in a classic or fantasy book. I think this kind of thing would work for my own branding, because although it is very decorative, I could keep the width of the original letter and the serifs so it would work with the rest of the word.


This is a dropcap shown in context, and I have an idea for a pattern for the branding which is to incorporate the dropcap I make into a real book page. I need a pattern because I need something to stick on the back of the menus and for the placemats, and I thought by putting my dropcap into context, it will fit in well with the concept and theme of the brand. 


Here are some ornate letters and I think they are very sophisticated and elegant. But I think something like this would make my branding seem too old-fashioned - I still want it to appeal to a contemporary audience.


I think this monogram is a more contemporary style as it is very vector based and the decoration is just lines rather than ornate deocration.


This is one of Jessica Hische's daily drop caps, and I like how the thick outline exaggerates the original shape to make it more ornamental.


This full alphabet is very illustrative and there is plenty for the viewer to look at, but I think it is more of a poster and something for peoples' entertainment than something I would do myself for a restaurant branding. I love how detailed and illustrative it is though.


This is similar to what I had in mind - the original letter easy to see, with decoration around it, but in a more contained way. But having looked at more letters now I think I will do something that is less decorative to fit in with a more contemporary style. 


These are incredibly old-fashioned and highly ornate letters which I would expect to see in really old books and although I love this style, I think it is something I will stay away from in mine because I want to create something which is more up to date.


These are some more of Jessica Hische's daily drop caps, and I chose to look at them because I love the style. I love the use of lines to make patterns in the letters, outside the letters and to make up the actual letter.






I love how these letters are used in packaging, and the thickness of the letters allows the illustrations to stand out and be incorporated as part of the letter, rather than around the letter. This also allows the original shape of the letter to be seen, which I need for my own. They are for Waitrose, which is quite a upmarket supermarket, and I want my own branding to be quite upmarket.


After looking at lots of different letters and styles, I think I want to produce something that has some sort of illustrative style and difference to it, but isn't extremely decorative because I want my cafe to be clean and target academics too.

Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.