You Are Reading

OUGD403 Alphabet Soup - Typeface

I am making a typeface based on a person in my class, and as her favourite font is American Type Writer, I decided to look at that and other typewriter fonts. I want to create a font that resembles the ones used on a typewriter, as it represents my partner well, and the reasons why can be found on my design practise blog.

American Type Writer - This is Charlie's favourite typeface, and as we had to base our font on an original one, I decided to base it on this. From this, I found three similar fonts...


Better Type Right - In the group crit we had, Amber suggested to create a font which was slightly uneven, with parts of letters at different angles, or just not completely precise. I decided to take this on board, and found a typewriter font which did just that. In my first alphabet sketch I drew one similar, and took it to Illustrator. However, when I finished it, I thought it seemed to unorganized.

Courier - This font is monospaced, meaning each letter is the same width as the last. This is what all original fonts were on a typewriter, so that each line was aligned. I made the first font I designed monospaced, but I think because I also made it slightly uneven like Better Type Right, it didn't quite work. It made it look unproportioned, and I think it only works well if it has a lot of straight serifs, rather than curved.
 Ernestine - After I didn't like my first typeface, I decided to look at Ernestine, and create another one based on this. I looked at the serifs in particular, and noted how it doesn't look robotic like Courier, but still keeps the typewriter style. I took this on board into my own font, and was very happy with the result.


Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.