You Are Reading

OUGD401 Constructive Criticisms of the Leeds College of Art 2012/13 Prospectus

I have attempted to read this several times, and I still haven’t finished it because I don’t understand what the content is about. I can’t comprehend if the ‘we are the state of the art’ is the title, or just randomly placed as it follows a different layout to the rest of the prospectus. I find how the text is in three boxes within another box quite pointless, as it doesn’t seem to have any meaning or continuity.
The title, image and text have no connection to each other. The text talks about having ‘excellent staff’ – but with no picture of the staff or a small class to support this, just an image of the interior roof. I have no objection to the image, but I fail to recognise how it helps the audience be introduced to the College. Surely a more appropriate image, such as the exterior or the mosaic bar would be more beneficial?
‘Leeds was named ‘Best place to live in Britain’ by Henley Business School’. But we are an art college, not a business school, so why would potential ART students care about that? Business and art students would have different needs from the city - they wouldn’t need art supply shops, art galleries, the theatre, design studios and most importantly, they have different employers.
When considering where you are going to university you usually think about the course, if it is right for you, the location itself, and what is has to offer you. Not carbon emissions. I just find there seems to be a lot of points in the prospectus which aren’t particularly important, and the space could have been used more resourcefully.
I find the layout of this quite difficult to read, and the text doesn’t seem to be aligned in an easy way to follow. I think it’s because the title is centred, whereas the information is aligned to the left, so my eyes don’t know where to look.
These images are from the Graphic Design page. I feel like I had to point out what page they are from, because it isn’t obvious at all which you would expect it would be. By cropping the images the audience can’t see the work, and although that makes the images look edgy and cool, wouldn’t you rather be able to see the standard of work produced?
‘L iberty Park, Leeds, LS1’. If my spellchecker is picking up that space in Liberty, then why didn’t the editors?

Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.