You Are Reading

OUGD401 - From Theory into Practice

As I am now doing a brief history of lomography, with a make your own pinhole camera kit, I have decided think about how my book would work.





Binding
As I want to have a make your own pinhole camera kit within the book I thought of two ways that might work:

Coptic binding
I thought this could be appropriate because it can have wooden covers, which would be a good material to have the net within the covers. 



Belly band
I was thinking of putting a belly band around the book so that the net wouldn't fall out of the sides.

Ring binder
This would also be a good option because it would allow the pages to lay flat, so you would be able to follow the instructions of the pinhole camera net easily.

I went to Vernon Street to see if my ideas were feasible, as they know more about bookbinding. The lady said that wood would be fine to use, as long as it is at least 3mm thick and not plywood, so that when the holes are drilled in it wouldn't break. She also suggested instead of a bellyband, a slip case would be a good idea.

Content Research
I have decided to look thoroughly into Lomography, as although it hasn't been around for that long it is still a very large subject, and I want to figure out what I am going to include in my book.

I went onto the Lomography website


The 10 golden rules of Lomography


  1. Take your camera everywhere you go
  2. Use it any time – day and night
  3. Lomography is not an interference in your life, but part of it
  4. Try the shot from the hip
  5. Approach the objects of your Lomographic desire as close as possible
  6. Don't think (William Firebrace)
  7. Be fast
  8. You don't have to know beforehand what you captured on film
  9. Afterwards either
  10. Don't worry about any rules
History 

It began with a fateful encounter in the early 1990s, when a group of students in Vienna, Austria, stumbled upon the Lomo Kompakt Automat – a small, enigmatic Russian camera. Mindlessly taking shots from the hip, and sometimes looking through the viewfinder, they were astounded with the mindblowing photos that it produced – the colours were vibrant, with deep saturation and vignettes that framed the shot – it was nothing like they had seen before! Upon returning home, friends wanted their own Lomo LC-A, igniting a new style of artistic experimental photography that we now know as Lomography!

































These are pinhole cameras you can buy from Lomgraphy:
Although they have basic designs, I do like the authenticity of them, and it matches the diy aspect.



These are the La Sardinia cameras you can buy from lomography which have much more interesting designs:






Here is another make your own camera kit, with instant photos.




Here are all the cameras you can buy from Lomography:











Here are a couple screenshots from the magazine section of the website:


Here are some lomographs:




















As I have found a lot of information about lomography, I decided it was time to think about what I am going to include in my book, and what to research further:

(spider diagram)

The first section is going to be how it all started, with a timeline. This way I can fit in political; social; historical and cultural references.
The second section is going to be about all the cameras you can buy, I was thinking of doing an illustration of each camera, as I want to include all of my own photography as I wouldn't be able to take a photo of each one. 
The third section is going to be a guide to the films you can use, as there are quite a few different ones which produce different effects.
The fourth section is going to be photographs I have taken myself with Lomo cameras, and trying out different techniques.
As lomography isn't just about the cameras, it is a community, I was thinking of having a 'do something analogue' section, like they do in their magazine. This would fit in with having the make your own pinhole camera kit as well.

When you use any kind of digital equipment, what do you use it for? (taking videos; collecting research; playing games; taking photographs, emailing etc)

What piece of digital equipment do you use most often?

Phone
Games console
Computer
Camera
Tablet
Radio
Other

A History of
Lomography is a 
                             analogue photography movement
                             community
                             magazine
                             cameras
                             gallery
                             technique
                             experiment

Make your own pinhole camera
As experimental photography is a big part of Lomography, and pinhole cameras are part of the Lomography range, here is a 'Make Your Own Pinhole Camera Kit' so you can get creative and become a Lomographer! 

I looked at a couple of nets:







Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.